DarkFiber Consulting is aware of public reports of an attack circulating via bogus email messages that claim to be from “US Customs Service.” The messages may contain the subject line “Parcel requires declaration” and indicate that a parcel has been received addressed to the recipient of the email. These messages may also encourage users to open an attachment to the message that may contain malicious code.
DarkFiber Consulting encourages users to do the following to help mitigate the risks:
- Review the alert posted by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection regarding this issue.
- Do not open attachments contained in unsolicited email messages.
- Refer to the Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams (pdf) document for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to the Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks document for more information on social engineering attacks.
- Install anti-virus software and keep virus signature files up to date.
DarkFiber Consulting will provide additional information as it becomes available.