DarkFiber Consulting would like to warn users of potential email scams and search engine poisoning campaigns that may circulate regarding the Haitian Earthquake disaster. The scam emails may contain links or attachments which may direct users to phishing or malware-laden websites. Fraudulent search engine results may return similar malicious web links to phishing and malware websites.
DarkFiber Consulting encourages users to take the following measures to protect themselves:
- Do not follow unsolicited web links or attachments in email messages.
- Maintain up-to-date antivirus software.
- Review the Federal Trade Commission’s Charity Checklist.
- Verify the legitimacy of the email by contacting the organization directly through a trusted contact number. Trusted contact information can be found on the Better Business Bureau National Charity Report Index.
- Refer to the Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams (pdf) document for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to the Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks document for more information on social engineering attacks.